Wednesday, July 6, 2011

2011 Smithsonian Folklife Festival!


If any of you are in the Washington, D.C. metro area this week, you should totes go check out the Folklife Festival on the Mall, which is resuming tomorrow the 7th through the 11th. This year's festival is focusing on Colombia, The Peace Corps, and Rhythm and Blues! I was an intern for the Smithsonian Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage a few years ago (under the wonderful Betty Belanus and Dorey Butter - hi!), and I can't begin to tell you how hard these people work to create such an amazing event. The first year I went, I saw the prince of Bhutan give the most beautiful welcome speech. So go check it out and tell everybody and everything that I say hi and I miss it!

PRO TIP: If getting there by Metro, don't get off at the Smithsonian station unless you want to do battle with other tourists getting out. Have some patience and wait one more ride for L'Enfant Plaza, then find the exit for Maryland Ave/7th and walk a couple blocks to arrive slightly sweaty but largely unbothered by clamoring crowds.

No comments:

Post a Comment